Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Japan Road Trip : Okayama

After our flat battery dramas in Osaka, the following days made up mega paranoid about our car battery. I think our van always started rough, due to the cold but it wasn't until we focused on the issue that we started to worry about it - life wisdom right there! So this morning, we decided to take care of two issues, dirty clothes and car starting issues! We found a laundry mat - tick! And then we found a yellow hat to buy some jumper cables - tick! We figured if we had jumper cables we could at least hail down someone and not feel so helpless!

Our day wasn't all boring though we checked out a turtle station, complete with real life turtles inside and a horseshoe crab Museum, complete with a dinosaur park outside! And at night, we hit up Takahashi and I diverted from my normal eating and had some eggs which was an actual delight but for the rest of the holiday I got back on track :)







Turtle stamps at Kamenoko station in Misaki + a handmade turtle keyring! I loved the smaller towns, we had such delightful interaction with staff and people who made us feel super special :)




















The dinosaur park is free to roam around and then for a small fee you can go inside the horseshoe crab museum which I would totally recommend, it's rather odd, has random cabinets of vintage collectable and lots of curious things.  It only takes around an hour or less to explore and if you ask nicely they give you a sheet with stamps to collect as you walk around the museum (I have a feeling they hand these out to kids :p). The staff who run the Museum are so lovely though and even gifted us with origami at the end!!


dino and horeshoe crab!













This map outside was helpful in showing us some ideas for our next day :) Normally I go a bit overboard with planning but I kind of ran out of time this holiday, probably to the delight of Ben :p Our goal for the trip was it be super relaxed/go-with-the-flow and to be honest that philosophy probably helped it be one of our favourite holidays ever :)


That night we hang out in Takahashi, a city in Okayama and home to our Michi No Eki for the evening 










I'm holding the instructions sheet our waitress gave us :) "Okonomiyaki spatula lecture"



My Japan observations
- beautiful nature
- kawaii
- industrial
- run down

11 comments:

  1. Okonomiyaki!! You're making me so hungry! And both of those 'museums' look amazing. What incredible finds. Small towns are rad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. small towns are super rad! Such hidden gems - love!

      Delete
  2. Amazing dinosaur park!!! Also I spy Uran!!! <3
    Love the umbrella photos too, so much awesome!! Blogger has neglected to notify me of your new posts so I'm off to catch up on a couple more :) yay Japan love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys would of loved the dinosaur park!! The umbrella photo is a recreation of a photo we did last time, I think this was the only rain we had on our trip so it was lucky we took advantage! Silly blogger!

      Delete
  3. Waaaaaah!!! What an adventure!!!! I miss Japan. Dreadfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Japan is so many levels of awesome :)

      Delete
  4. Love. Every single picture and things you did! It's funny because I was first introduced to okonomiyaki while watching Ranma 1/2! So every time I hear okonomiyaki I think of that episode :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many amazing things together in this post! I will sound like a fangirl in this comment, ha! :) Dinos! wow! <3 Ben is hilarious running for his life in the pond, love also the turtle station, so special! and the museum is definitely unique! the origamis as gift are a only in japan kind of good-bye gift :) Also, looove the pictures with the umbrella. And so many amazing bokehs in the pics, which lens did you bring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh good spotting of Ben, Damaris! That's so true about the origami as a goodbye gift! I bought my 50mm 1.4 and my 85mm which I think is a 1.8, so pretty good bokeh too! I did really wish I had something a little wider but I'm good at walking backwards with my 50mm :P :P

      Delete
    2. Oh! thanks Fee, no wonder the amazing results with such good lens :) Another one here trained walking backwards, although we bought the 35mm we are still very much in love with the 50mm ;)

      Delete

If you would like to be notified of further replies click the "notify me" box (in the bottom right hand corner)